A Mess Free Life may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
The phone rings, and it’s your Aunt and Uncle from out of town. It seems they want to stop by for a visit and see where you live. The problem: your more concerned they’ll see HOW you live. The house is a mess, and you need to clean your house fast. Give me less than an hour, and you’ll get 54 minutes to a tidy home.
How To Clean Your House Fast
I once owned a residential and commercial cleaning company. During that time I have perfected the art of cleaning. I know for a fact you can clean an average sized home in under an hour.
But here’s the thing: you must stay focused and keep moving from one task to the next. To make sure of this do a few things first.
- Shut off your phone (or put it on mute).
- Turn Off the TV, so you’re not distracted.
- Put music on instead to keep you upbeat and moving fast.
- Make sure you have all your cleaning supplies on hand so you can take them with you when you clean.
- If your family is home, get them to help too!
Oh wait, would you like a copy of my speed cleaning checklist? You can find it in the FREE Resource Library.
You don’t have the code? No worries! You can sign up below and get instant access to all my wonderful cleaning, money and life checklists, printables and worksheets. And the best part is I add to it all the time.
When you clean always remember two things:
Start at the top and move down. When cleaning, make sure you always clean the highest parts of the room first. So you’ll dust light fixtures and tops of doorways and windows before you clean furniture. This ensures dust is traveling downward and you do not have to reclean and an area you just cleaned.
Move left to right. By coming into a room and moving left to the right, you’re not wasting time running all around the room, and it helps you to remember what has been cleaned and what still needs attention.
Bedrooms – 15 minutes
- Strip linens and remake beds. To save time don’t throw pillows and blankets on the floor. Keep close by to make remaking the bed easier.
- Remove all clutter, if you’re in a hurry gather clutter in a spare basket or bin for later organization and tuck out of sight in a closet.
- Wipe down furniture with a Swiffer or microfiber cloth and spray.
- Vacuum out of the room by starting in the left-hand corner of the room and moving right and out the door.
Bathrooms – 16 minutes
- Spray shower and tub enclosure with the product. Let sit and allow cleaner to do the job.
- Spray toilet bowl cleaner into the bowl and let sit.
- Clean mirrors.
- Clean counters and sink.
- Go back to shower and clean. Use a Mr. Clean Sponge on fiberglass and glass for easier cleaning. Use a scrub brush on the tile. Rinse and wipe glass dry. Close shower curtain if you don’t have glass enclosure.
- Clean the toilet inside and then top to bottom externally.
- Vacuum floor.
- Mop floor.
Living/Dining Rooms – 8 minutes
- Clear all clutter.
- Dust top to bottom and left to right.
- Vacuum upholstered furniture.
- Vacuum floors/rugs.
Kitchen – 15 minutes
- Load all the dirty dishes in the dishwasher and fill the sink with hot soapy water. If your stove top has removable burner pieces that need to be cleaned, place in water as well or place in the dishwasher if you have the time and let the dishwasher do the hard work.
- Clear counters.
- Clean window and sill above sink if you have one.
- Check slider for fingerprints and clean if you have one.
- Dunk sponge in hot water and squeeze out excess, wipe down cabinets, counters and other surfaces again working top to bottom. Rinse sponge in hot water as you clean you’ll be amazed how much dirt comes off! For laminate and painted cabinets, Mr. Clean works like magic and makes cleaning cabinets super easy.
- Wipe down appliances with appropriate cleaner.
- Finish cleaning any stove pieces and replace.
- Vacuum floor.
- Mop floor.
Of course, this isn’t a deep clean. This is the ‘I’m in a hurry and need to get my house clean fast’ clean. This can be done. Just remember to keep your head down and focused on the task, and you’ll have your house cleaned fast and in under an hour.
For a deep cleaning routine, click on the room and follow the step by step guide.
The Ultimate Guide To Spring Cleaning Your Kitchen
Spring Cleaning Living and Dining Areas