If your refrigerator is anything like mine, it just went through the ringer. It was overstuffed with food for all the wonderful recipes and then the leftovers from our holiday feast. I’ve got spills and sticky stuff throughout the refrigerator, and it’s time to clean it out and get it ready for the next holiday celebration!
The Best Way To Clean Your Refrigerator
Refrigerators are not cleaned enough. This comes from someone who’s been professionally cleaning homes for almost 15 years. I’ve peeked into my fair share of refrigerators, and I can say it’s the most neglected appliance in the kitchen. I’ve seen so many disgusting refrigerators, some so dirty they had to be thrown away and replaced.
Most Americans clean their refrigerators once or twice a year at most. Consequently, they’re typically nasty, sticky, smelly, gross messes.
It’s why there’s a National Clean Your Refrigerator Day. It was probably established to motivator people to clean out their fridges. No one I know enjoys cleaning their refrigerator; myself included.
Many years ago, when I was building my cleaning business I had the good fortune of being awarded a contract to clean a 500 unit apartment complex. Along with the common area cleaning, we were responsible for all the apartment turnovers. On average, we cleaned 45 apartments a month which meant we cleaned 45 refrigerators.
Time is money in the cleaning business and developing efficiencies are a necessary tool to ensure the highest profit margin. So, I needed to find a fast and efficient way for the staff to clean them. Without an efficient method, it could take upwards of an hour or more.
So after some trial and error, I found an excellent way to clean the fridge that was easy and quick.
Step By Step Directions To Clean Your Refrigerator Quickly and Easily
1. Empty all contents of the refrigerator and put in a cooler.
2. Turn up the temperature in the fridge or if you are planning on cleaning the freezer as well, shut off the refrigerator.
3. Remove all trays, shelves, and drawers.
4. Open up your dishwasher and place the trays, shelves, and drawers inside. Put it on the quick cycle. You may need to do this several times to get all items cleaned.
5. While the dishwasher is cleaning the shelves, for you, you’ll be focusing your attention on the inside of the fridge.
6. Wash out the inside using dish detergent and a clean cloth and a Mr. Clean Sponge. Mr. Clean sponges do a super, fantastic job at getting the stuck on crud that builds up from spills and splashes. Pay attention to all the seams, edges and other hidden areas.
7. Use a sanitizing solution to wipe down everything a second time. Don’t skip this step as you want to make sure you’ve killed all the germs that are lurking inside your refrigerator.
8. Let it air dry, no real need to wipe it a third time.
9. Replace all shelves, drawers, and baskets to their position.
10. Turn the temperature down, fill your fridge and close the door.
You should give your refrigerator a thorough cleaning, at least, every few months or more frequently if needed.
Don’t wait until the fridge stinks and the food is rotting.
If you make a commitment to wipe down the inside once a week, dispose of old food quickly and keep your bins neat and clean, a heavy-duty cleaning once a month won’t seem like a big deal.
Wasn’t that super easy and quick too?
Use this method every time you need to clean out your refrigerator and you’ll never look at this chore the same way. Plus, because it was so easy, you’ll be more likely to repeat this process more than once per year.