A Mess Free Life may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
Many years ago I ran a women’s only networking organization called DARE To Be Phenomenal.
During the events, I would give a presentation to help participants either move their business forward or change their relationship with money.
At one of the first networking events, I did this exercise to help people understand where their beliefs, attitudes and mindset about money came from. So many of the women came up to me after and told me how they have struggled with many limiting beliefs that were instilled in them by their parents.
Grab a piece of paper and answer these questions for yourself if you want to understand more fully where you got your money story.
1. What stories did your family tell you about money? Was there a story that was repeated over and over again in your family? Were these stories positive or negative?
2. How did your mother portray her attitude about money? What messages did she send about money?
3. How did your father portray his attitude about money? What messages did he send about money?
4. Did you worry about money as a child? What stories or words would you use to describe your worry about money?
5. What did you learn about money as a child? How did these lessons make you feel about money?
6. When given the opportunity to learn about money do you resist learning this information?
7. Does money flow in and out of your life smoothly or do you have difficulty getting and giving money?
8. Do you feel in control or out of control concerning your financial situation?
9. Do you know what your financial goals are? Do you have a plan to get there or are you using the hope and pray method?
10. When you think about money, do you feel dread or excitement? Why?
11. What are you willing to do about the beliefs about money that are having a negative impact on your ability to attract abundance into your life?
Did you know that how you “do” money is how you do everything?
Your money beliefs, stories, and feelings of deservability are like an invisible GPS, secretly controlling every decision, action, and opportunity.
These powerful emotions within you determine most importantly how much money you have in your bank account, but can affect how much money you make, and the amount of success you allow in your life. It even influences the quality of your relationships (if you’ve ever had an argument with someone you love about money, then you’ve experienced what I’m talking about).
Peeling back the curtain to your emotions is the first step in changing your money story and creating new beliefs and actions that serve you better and help you to gain control over money in your life.
Another way to help shift your beliefs about money is by reciting affirmations or mantras each day. Feel free to download the affirmations I’ve created to help get your head and heart in the same place.