I’ve never been any good with cleaning my oven. Despite the fact it’s self-cleaning, which in my opinion don’t work that well, it never seems to get really clean. Because of my frustration, I knew many of you would have the, ‘What’s the secret to a clean oven?’ issue too.
So I went on the hunt to find a method I could personally guarantee would work.
I did my research.
I scoured the internet.
I tried a few hacks that did NOT work at all – crazy Pinterest!
I did my trials to see what might be the secret sauce to cleaning your oven.
And, I’m here ladies to tell you I think I found it.
I found the secret. The three easy steps to get your oven clean while you sleep (and one while you wait for method).
Can you believe it? While you sleep.
THREE EASY STEPS TO CLEAN YOUR OVEN WHILE YOU SLEEP
Ovens can get pretty messy with food spilling over and splattering when it cooks. Then it becomes baked on and crusted over the bottom, the racks, and even the sides.
The more you cook without cleaning, the more stuck it gets. And of course, the mess cooks along with anything else you’re baking so it fills your house with the smell of burnt food.
Not only that, your oven traps grease which can eventually lead to a more serious problem, like a fire or grease build up which will be quite costly to get professionally cleaned.
With the holiday season fast approaching, your oven is probably about to get more use than the rest of the year. Holiday dinners and baking may keep you in your kitchen for many weekends to come.
But just the thought of having to clean your oven is enough to make you want to make a reservation for a holiday dinner instead of cooking at home.
Before you go to the expense, and before the oven gets too out of control, it’s time to get in there and give it a good clean.
But harsh chemicals and fumes can be overpowering, smelling up your kitchen and even giving you a headache. Plus, even with a scouring pad, there’s a lot of elbow grease needed to get all that crusted food off the inside. The reason you’ve probably been putting it off is that you know it will take hours and you just don’t have the time and don’t want to deal with it.
But what if your oven could clean itself while you sleep? Wouldn’t that be so much easier? To wake up in the morning to find that all the crusted food as loosened itself and only needs to be wiped away? Now you’re talking!
This simple, 3-step cleaning hack will get your oven clean in no time so you can get back to anything else besides cleaning the oven.
Liking this article so far? Here are a few reader favorites:
Company Is Coming: What To Clean Before Guests Arrive
THE CLEAN YOUR OVEN WHILE YOU SLEEP METHOD
First, you need just 3 supplies. Ammonia, an oven-safe bowl, and a sponge. Then just follow these simple instructions:
- Pour about ¼ cup of ammonia in the oven-safe bowl.
- Place the bowl in the oven and let it sit overnight with the oven turned OFF.
- The ammonia fumes will soften all the gunk overnight so in the morning you can just wipe it clean with a sponge.
That’s it! In a flash, your oven is clean and ready for your holiday baking.
Now, what if you don’t like the smell of ammonia? For some people, the smell can be too harsh, triggering a headache. Is there any other way to easily clean your oven without the harsh smell? Yes!
CLEAN YOUR OVEN WHILE YOU SLEEP METHOD WITHOUT AMMONIA
This time you’ll need a few more materials:
- Paper towels
- Small bowl
- White vinegar
- Baking Soda
- Spray bottle
Once you gather all your materials, you’re ready to get cleaning!
- Take out the oven racks and set them aside. You can clean those with a scouring pad in your kitchen sink later.
- Mix baking soda with water in a small bowl to create a paste-like mixture. Start with the baking soda then slowly add a few drops of water at a time until it’s nice and thick. Depending on the size of your oven, you may need a couple batches of this mixture to completely coat the inside. If your mixture becomes too runny, just add more baking soda.
- Spread the paste over the inside of your oven, covering the bottom and all sides. The baking soda may start to turn brown, this is fine. It’s just pulling up the grease and grime. Close the oven door and let it sit overnight, or for at least 12 hours.
- In the morning, wipe the baking soda mixture out with the paper towels, removing as much as possible.
- Add the white vinegar to your spray bottle and spray the inside of your oven, especially where you have any baking soda residue. Then wipe it clean with more paper towels.
- Now put the oven racks back in and dry the oven by turning it on at 200 degrees for about 15 minutes.
You can clean the oven window with this method too, but it doesn’t need to sit overnight. Just make another batch of the baking soda paste, spread it on the window, and let it sit for 30 minutes before wiping it off. Follow with a spray of vinegar and another wipe.
Need your oven cleaned faster, like today, so you can bake? No problem. Here’s one more method that will get your oven sparkling in just a couple of hours.
CLEAN YOUR OVEN FAST (THE NOT OVERNIGHT METHOD)
- Warm water
- White vinegar
- Baking pan with side
- Spray bottle
- Baking soda
- Bowl of water
- Plastic spatula
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Fill the baking pan halfway with warm water and add about a cup of white vinegar.
- Place the pan on the middle oven rack and bake for about an hour.
- Turn the oven off, but leave the baking pan inside with the door closed for about another hour, until it cools completely.
- Remove the baking pan and oven racks.
- Spray the inside of your oven with white vinegar then sprinkle the bottom with baking soda. Let the mixture foam for about 5 minutes.
- Use a wet sponge to wipe out the oven. If there are any food chunks left behind, use a plastic spatula to scrape them off.
- Rinse the sponge. Fill a bowl with clean water and use this and your sponge to wipe out any vinegar and baking soda residue.
Here are a few more cleaning articles you might enjoy!
Whichever method you choose, your oven should be all nice and clean and ready for all your cooking and baking! And with these easy methods, it will be super easy to clean your oven again throughout the year. Just choose your cleaning method, close the oven, and go to bed!